Thursday, June 11, 2009

I am officially getting old

There are many signs that I'm getting old. Like the gray hair (that I've actually had since I was 25 due to STRESS) or the plethora of wrinkles and age spots on my face. And let's not forget my complete lack of mental sharpness. These days my I'm quite happy when I can remember the names and birthdays of my children - and consider being "sharp as a butter knife" a good thing. Those days of being "sharp as a tack" are long, long gone.

One of the signs of my ever aging mind and body is the fact that I am currently planning my 20th high school reunion. It has consumed me for a while now. The selling of tickets, planning of events and finding the right entertainment have caused me a few sleepless nights. No one tells you when you are 17 years old and running for Senior Class Office (because you WANT to plan your High School reunions) how incredibly busy you will be in your future life, and the obstacles & yes even stomach ulcers that may come along with it.

At the same time however, they don't tell you how amazingly fun it will be either. Working with people you haven't seen in 20 years, and even some who you never even knew when you were in high school. After nearly every time we meet together, I find myself contemplating how just down right cool these people are. All the "high school" crap has been peeled away throughout these last 20 years, leaving the hearts and minds of some pretty strong people completely exposed. I've grown to love some of them for the first time, and the rest of them I've grown to love all over again.

It's teaching me that I really don't mind getting old. Okay, so I really don't appreciate how difficult it can be to get back up again after I've been sitting on the ground for a while, but other than that sort of stuff - getting older has been much more fun than I ever thought it would be. I've been wondering why God doesn't let our bodies, hearts & minds be at their absolute prime at exactly the same time. I guess it could be dangerous. I'm beginning to understand what they mean when they say "beauty is wasted on the young". But then again, with age I'm gaining an internal peace & confidence that physical appearance simply cannot create. Why does it take 38 years to figure that one out?

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Kristen- YOU ROCK! I can't wait to see you next month. I have gotten to know you all over again from this amazing blog. Thank you for allowing me a sneak peek into your life and your heart!

Kristin said...

I'm right there with you. Won't the afterlife be nice, when we're in our prime body AND mind! Can't wait to see you.

Kathleen said...

Enjoy this event all of you attending! The 20th Reunion is one of the funnest; yet the 40th was my very funnest. . . .yes growing old is quite an adventure and having friends and family in this life adventure is the best!

It's been fun watching Kristen in all this planning because I've have gotten to see some of her high school friends that I knew and loved and they are have grown into even more beautiful people.

Sandi and Kristen I didn't know you, but reading you on Kristen's blog has been a delight. You are two wonderful examples for me and you have darling families.

I agree -- Kristen you ROCK!

The Mom

Holt's in da House said...

Your last paragraph leads me to share that I know what you mean about this real, definate irreconciliation in that our bodies and our spirits age differently - for me, it is mortal evidence that there is a resurrection to correct that inequity!!!! and I gain more realization that it indeed is a part of the joy of the atonement to have that hope. All things will be reconciled and made equal and perfect - bring it on. :) Hope things are well with you & the fam...

Kristi said...

In some ways this is prime-time for us - we haven't totally gone to pot physically, but have lived long enough to be a bit smarter about life. :)

Kristen - It has been a joy to work with you and to get to know you better. Like Aimee said the other night, I too will miss the associations we've all shared in planning the reunion. You are a gem. I'm so glad you blog so I can keep up with you and your cute family. :)