Friday, August 15, 2008

The Most Miserable Joy

Okay, so Kassidy turned 10 years old this week and will be going into 5th grade. This is really freaking me out!!! I VIVIDLY remember 5th grade - I honestly thought that I was so old, and now that's how old my little girl is. Yesterday she came to me with tears in her eyes and she said, "Mom, I just feel so sad today and I don't know why." I almost said, welcome to the emotions of womanhood honey. But instead I just hugged her and we talked about it.

To celebrate her birthday, Kassidy and I took a special trip to Chicago. Yes, I'm a little crazy with the birthday thing, but I so wanted to take her to the American Girl Place and I knew that her interest in American Girl dolls wasn't going to last forever. So I spent 4 days just hanging out with my little Kassidy. We shopped (boy did we ever shop), we got room service, we ate tons of pancakes and pizza, and yes - we spent countless hours in the American Doll Place. She's my first, the one that taught me how amazing motherhood could be. Also, the one who offered me her unconditional love as I figured out what type of mother I wanted to be. I never knew that I would love being a mom this much, that I would love these three little people in a way that I could never have imagined. As I watch Kassidy grow (and Caleb & Kaitlyn), I feel like my heart is going to burst with pride, love, and sadness because it is going so quickly. As my mom says, it's, "the most miserable joy". It truly is.

3 comments:

kamcicle said...

what?!?!?!

Kathleen said...

Yikes! I keep trying to comment on my daughter's blogs but something blocks the message after I hit submit. So, Kristen is in my room and she is going to teach me how to comment. tee hee Here goes.

Kathleen said...

Oh my gosh, it worked, it worked, it worked. Picture this I'm doing the circling the arm routine while singing "it worked, it worked, it worked". Now I know my kids are right, I'm a dork and that's okay and it's okay Kristen, Kassidy will be the most fun movie of your life. It is at times, the most miserable joy, to be a MOM.