Thursday, March 26, 2009

Random thoughts that have filled my brain this week

I've been missing being able to just sit down and write. I started re-reading my favorite book a few weeks ago, so I've spent any precious spare moments reading instead of writing. This morning I decided to let the dishes stay dirty, the laundry remain unfolded, and my cute 5 year old run wild (and naked I might add). I'm going to write about some of the random things that have been filling my brain & life this week.

  • Should I allow my ten year old daughter to watch Twilight? I haven't allowed her to read the books, even though it seems like every other girl her age has. Call me crazy, but I believe she'll have plenty of sexual tension to deal with during her teenage years, so I'd prefer NOT to give her a head start on that one. I actually did allow her to watch the movie this week - with me acting as a censor for the things I didn't want her to see. I think it was a good compromise. Although, as the credits rolled at the end of the movie she looked at me with a curious look on her face and said, "That's it?" Almost like she was saying, "Why is everyone making such a big deal about THAT?".
  • Caleb's questions about vampires and Twilight. Why is Edward's skin white? Does he have fangs? Why doesn't he drink Bella's blood? Are his fangs permanent, or do they just appear when he needs them? Does Edward turn into a bat? SERIOUSLY! I finally had to say NO MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT VAMPIRES! I was losing my mind.
  • WHY is my five year old SO DARN GRUMPY?!?! She and I have mornings alone together before she heads off to Kindergarten. Usually, this is some pretty great time we get to spend together reading, snuggling, playing & talking. But this week, she is grumpy like nobody's business - And I was quickly on my way to the funny farm. Thankfully, she woke up this morning bright & cheery. Phew! Just in the nick of time.
  • Will my children ever learn to flush the toilets after they use them? I am flat out TIRED of being surprised by floaties and stinky smells that seem to never go away.
  • After reading an article one morning this week about the dangers of drinking too much caffeine I decided to give up diet coke.
  • By 9:30 am that same morning I cracked open my first diet coke & decided to give up swearing instead.
  • Are there any other creative ways I can find to stretch my dollar? This whole recession/ cash crunching time we're in is making me more careful, creative, and obsessive with how & where I spend my money.
  • Will I ever figure out this whole Boy Scout program thing? Caleb has been eight for a whopping 2 weeks, and I'm already completely stressed out! We've already had a "space derby", a shirt mishap, a manual that sounds like gibberish to me, and all these stinkin' patches that I'm supposed to attach to the darn shirt. HELP! Someone please help me!
  • Watching Kassidy resting on my bed and thinking to myself, "Wow, she is really mine. She is a part of me. She is amazing."
  • No matter how much I volunteer at school with parties, activities & field trips - What matters most to my kids is the last party, activity, or field-trip. And if I wasn't there, then WHY NOT!?!?
  • Should the Jazz keep Boozer around? 'Cause seriously, his defense stinks & I think Millsap is the man.

Obviously, a trip to the funny farm for me isn't very far away. However, I am enjoying the ride.

7 comments:

gina said...

Cub Scouts is a mountain of stuff to learn - once you learn it - they move on to Boy Scouts and you get to start over. Welcome to the club. I hate the patches. With a passion. I have sewed some on with my machine but it is hard to get it right and breaks needles, but much easier than hand-stitching. The most wonderful thing ever I recently found is FABRIC GLUE - I got it at Walmart back on the craft/fabric aisle ; Aleen's FABRIC FUSION is the brand. It has lasted through washings - but don't put shirt in the dryer - just hang to dry. Made life a whole lot easier (with 2 in scouts; an 8 and a 13 year old). Good Luck! - Give your 5 year old something with protein/calcium/potassium first thing in the morning - maybe her blood sugar is low - same thing makes me grumpy - but maybe mine is the diet coke withdrawl. Eggs, milk and a banana can balance me quickly. Maybe hers has nothing to do with food - who knows??

Kristin said...

LOL. You are too funny. Def give up swearing, not caffeine! I know it makes depression worse, gives you osteoporosis and is addictive. I don't care. I NEED it. I've been getting my fix through Coke icee's lately... since my fetus is soaking up all the extra calcium in my body, I figure I could do w/o the carbonation, but then again, caff also strips Ca out of you. Dammit. Oops.
Cub Scouts. I HATE THE WHOLE DANG PROGRAM!!!!! I was so happy when Luke turned 12 and I got released from primary. Yeah! NO more CUBS!!!!! As far as I'm concerned, the scouting program is keeping the church from being translated. I really hate it. Luke is loving Scouts though, camp-outs, merit badges...it never ends. We take a very hands off approach. If he wants it, HE has to earn it. I'm not forcing him every week to work on scouts. No way. I'll help, but not a lot. If he can't do it mostly alone, what is the point? I don't need any freaking patches on MY shirt! Luckily for me, he's a self starter and I didn't have to do much. Now that he's in Scouts, it's all his dad. I'm out. Why must the church give us ONE MORE THING to tie up all our time and resources? The shirts alone are so expensive it's ridiculous. Total racket if you ask me. Ok. I'm getting off my soap box now. Sorry.

Kathleen said...

Kristen, this post is hilarous and I love it because I get to watch you live it. As for the patches, let's buy the fabric glue (so we can place it right) and Grandma will sew around the patches. Solved. Done and Done. Love you.

Kristi said...

Love your random thoughts... just what I needed to make me smile this morning.

:)

Sabrina said...

I love Caleb's picture, if I were in Utah, I would totally be there

gina said...

Hope you are doing alright... What are you reading? Anything good?

Just thinking about you- obviously keeping one eye on your blog.

Kristen said...

Gina,
Thanks for checking up on me! I'm still struggling to pull myself out of this funk I'm in. I finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It allowed my brain to focus on beautiful writing & interesting concepts rather than every day life. I'm hanging in there - so thanks for asking!
Kristen