Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why yes, I am on Prozac - why do you ask?

Crap. So the cat's out of the bag. It's probably pretty obvious at this point that yes, I suffer from depression. Surprise, surprise! I'm pretty good at managing it anymore, except for when life throws me a curve ball & then I have to improvise until I get myself back on track. Hence, my most recent state & inability to manage my life in a semi-normal way since the beginning of 2009.

I used to absolutely HATE admitting to anyone, myself included, that I struggle with depression. I mean, what type A person out there really wants to admit to the world that they honestly can't control everything about their own lives like they'd like to think they can. I certainly didn't want to. I like order. Depression is not conducive to an orderly lifestyle. So, at times it is just easier to pretend that the depression does not exist. This works okay when it is just you. But you add a spouse & kids and suddenly pretending is NOT an option anymore. 'Cause when all hell breaks lose, they kind-of notice.

For me, the struggle with depression & anxiety (seriously, as though life isn't tough enough already!) has been lifelong. I remember my first anxiety attack like it were yesterday, and I was 10. It was enough to scare the daylights out of me, so I can only imagine what it did to my mom. Considering what little information and research we had back then on the subject, she did a pretty damn good job!

So why did I finally admit to myself that this was a problem that needed to be dealt with? Pretty much when Mike said to me, "Kristen, before we have this third baby that you seem to know needs to come to our family, you need to get some help for your depression". My response prior to having 2 children would have been something like, " Me? Depressed? You must be joking! You obviously must have me mixed up with some other amazing woman you know." But by that time, it was quite obvious that I had something going on in the depression department. So I did what I do every time my sweet husband asks me to do something, I obeyed. (Okay, so that was in jest, poor Mike doesn't have a very "obedient" wife - but this time I did). I went to my doctor, and he prescribed an anti-depressent. Taking those damn pills was a hard thing for me to do. In my mind, I had failed. I had lost the battle of "self-control".

About 2 weeks into taking those damn pills, I noticed a change. I felt level headed without even trying. I was no longer an emotional yo-yo in perpetual motion. I looked at Mike and said, "Is this how it feels to feel normal?". It was something I had honestly NEVER experienced before. My life before anti-depressants felt like I was walking around with a bad sunburn covering my entire body and heart. Literally EVERYTHING felt like it was scratching on this sunburn. Some were little scratches, while others were deep gouges, but the scratching was continuous. It took enormous mental energy for me to not scream out at the world and yell, "Hey, watch it buddy! That hurts!" I used all of my energy protecting that stupid sunburn, which is incredibly hard, not to mention exhausting, when you have 2 kids running around.

For the first time that I could ever remember, I didn't have to focus all of that energy to keep me from going up and down like a yo-yo. It came automatically. I could relax and actually enjoy the ride. From that moment on I made a promise to myself that I would never hide the fact that I have depression and I take medication to control it. Maybe if I talk about it without embarassment, then other people won't be embarassed if they are facing the same thing. Maybe I can help keep one person from living on this earth for 32 years before they actually realize there are treatments available for their illness. I don't know. I guess it's worth a try. For what it's worth - I have depression and take medication to help me live a non-depresssed life. It works for me, and I am not embarassed by it. Enough said.

11 comments:

Sandi said...

Kudos to PROZAC! It saved my life!

I was on it from 89-97. LOVE IT!

Kathleen said...

This is the third attempt to leave a message. You know, reading those word verifications can be a trial.

Just wanted to say I'm proud of your Kristen; you are a wonderful example of being true to who you are and this does help many people. Including your mother.

Millie said...

I'm proud of you! It took me therapy to be able to say that last bit, not just the prozac!

gina said...

I've never heard anyone describe depression like you did - like a sunburn. YES!!! And with no happy memories of that day in the sun getting it.

Depression is a "side-effect" of being soft-hearted! The rain that keeps the flowers (beauty of YOU) growing -

Better to feel too much than too little. We should have a members only club and then we can 911 out to each other on our dark days and bail each other out - pick up kids, make the meals and trade off to keep each other afloat with no judgement. How I wish ....!

Kristin said...

I've been on since 97. I'm off now thanks to some alternative therapies, but I am a HUGE proponent of getting help when you need it, and I've always shouted it from the roof tops, sometimes, it just takes knowing someone on drugs to have the courage to go get on them yourself!

gina said...

You can get the apron at JUST SO HOMEWARE.COM (UK) http://www.justsohomeware.co.uk/justso/frame.asp?id=EI114&price=8.99&title=Domestically%20Challenged%20Apron%20-%20Blue%20Stripe&desc=The+'Domestically+Challenged'+apron+is+both+fun+and+practical.++Made+from+heavy+duty+cotton+in+cream+with+blue+stripes+with+wording+'Domestically+Challenged'+printed+on+the+front.++Co-ordinating+tea+towels+are+also+available.

Kristi said...

you are not alone...
while depression isn't my battle, I did have a few horrifying months of awful depression & anxiety, while I was pregnant with Hollie, so I feel I can empathize. If I ever felt that way again, for even a day, I would be literally RUNNING for help. What a blessing that we have modern medicine, and a greater understanding of how our bodies and minds work.

Hang in there. You are amazing.
xo

Julie said...

Kristen - i love you even more after reading this post. I get it - after years of struggling with my husband's anxiety, he finally agreed to get some help and begin taking meds 3.5 year ago - what a blessing, it saved our marriage and family. Thanks for opening up :-).

kamcicle said...

you're really just the only person who will admit it outloud. it's like when i suggest that someone should get a therapist, they look at me as though i've just told them that they're defective.

but guess what!?! I HAVE A THERAPIST!!! whew, that feels good. i love you the most!

Sabrina said...

I am on meds and proud to say it, I live a full and happy life and have no regrets, thanks to my happy pills. You helped me to be able to accept that when I was younger, so thanks!

Rachel Brooke said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and personal experience....
Not too many people would open up about something so personal. My husband Dan & I have gotten through a lot....thanks to family members who were brave enough to help out...speak out... My husband is a great guy, who really wants the best for us...who is willing to take meds to insure that our family functions the best that it can....it just takes that edge off...calms things down. :)