Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why Mormon's Build Temples

I've got a lot to blog about - with Easter, Spring Break, and Caleb's baptism all happening within a one week period. But, I'll have to save that for another day. Sometimes when I get an idea in my head for a post, I can't focus on anything else until I write about it.

My thoughts started a few weeks ago when I was made aware that the HBO "Big Love" would be airring an episode with a scene from a Mormon Temple. I didn't watch the episode, but apparently it was supposed to feature detailled depictions of our temple clothing, ordinance rooms, and temple ceremonies. Needless to say, I was TICKED at the idea of a movie/television studio using something incredibly sacred to me and millions of others in a way to sensationalize their programming, and hopefully lure in new viewers. I almost hate to admit it, but I was surprised as well. Call me naive, but I honestly was stunned to see my beliefs ridiculed and belittled in such a way.

My first innate response was to lash out. Like I said, I was TICKED! I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs at anyone and everyone involved in writing, producing, or marketing the episode. I wanted to throw a fit and let the world know how absolutely disgusting this was to me. I decided instead to allow myself a "cooling down" period before doing anything crazy like storming HBO Headquarters like a mad woman.

That brings me to today. I've been cleaning my house, trying to recover from the holiday, spring break, baptism week, and I was listening to General Conference at the same time. (Thank goodness for DVR that allows me to do this! Wow - what an amazing invention). For my non-Mormon friends, General Conference is a series of meetings held twice a year where the leadership of the Mormon church speaks to the church members. I wasn't home this year to listen to it, so I used the trusty DVR to record all sessions, so I could listen to and enjoy them later. Today happened to be one of those days. The talk from Elder David Bednar stopped me in my tracks. His entire talk was about temples and why they are so important to us. He said,

"We live in a great day of temple building around the world. And the adversary surely is mindful of the increasing number of temples that now dot the earth. As always, the building and dedicating of these sacred structures are accompanied by opposition from enemies of the Church as well as by ill-advised criticism from some within the Church.
Such antagonism is not new. In 1861, while the Salt Lake Temple was under construction, Brigham Young encouraged the Saints: “If you wish this Temple built, go to work and do all you can. . . . Some say, ‘I do not like to do it, for we never began to build a Temple without the bells of hell beginning to ring.’ I want to hear them ring again. All the tribes of hell will be on the move, . . . but what do you think it will amount to? You have all the time seen what it has amounted to” (Deseret News, Apr. 10, 1861, 41).
We as faithful Saints have been strengthened by adversity and are the recipients of the Lord’s tender mercies. We have moved forward under the promise of the Lord: “I will not suffer that [mine enemies] shall destroy my work; yea, I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil” (D&C 10:43).
We should not be surprised by Satan’s efforts to thwart or discredit temple worship and work. The devil despises the purity in and the power of the Lord’s house. And the protection available to each of us in and through temple ordinances and covenants stands as a great obstacle to the evil designs of Lucifer."

Well there was my answer. I shouldn't be surprised that temple of God is and will continue to be under attack from the adversary. Storming HBO headquarters obviously wasn't an appropriate action either. I don't need to act like a mad woman in defense of what I truly love and believe to be a precious gift from God. I just need to live the way I have promised to live in that very same temple I profess to love. AND - while living what I believe to the best of my ability, I need to be respectful towards all those who have differing beliefs concerning the nature of God and His purpose for them here on earth. I must show them the respect that I hope to receive in return.

For those of you who are interested in watching the video the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has released about "Why Mormons Build Temples" I've include link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_-TQivCx8-30,00.html

5 comments:

Kristin said...

You're always the brave one, not afraid to wear religion on your sleeve. I need to follow your example better, sometimes I find myself omitting religious stuff just so I don't offend the 3 non member readers I have. I know, pathetic. Thanks for being an inspiration T!

Chelsea said...

Good post. I love this talk. I'm glad you posted about this topic.

We need to catch up--it has been too long since we chatted. I'm signing up for a race in May---run it with me! Call me and we can chat.

Kristi said...

Good read. Love and agree with your thoughts on all of this... thanks for posting it. :)

gina said...

That is a very good post... I was so angry also about that and signed petitions and 1000s of us (facebook) emailed HBO asking them to respect the sacred things of our religion- anyone's religion for that matter. Strange world isn't it??

Julie said...

I know, it's difficult. I appreciate your example and I love your posts about faith and testimony - I've been doing more of that on my blog because it's truly what means so much to me and what I want to share with others. Thanks for your insights.