Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Fine Day

My "Square Foot Garden" is full of dirt and ready for planting. This is one of three planting boxes scattered around my yard.

Kaitlyn swinging high!

Caleb & Daddy fighting with his Transformers. I should probably specify here that they are Caleb's Transformers - he just "shares" them with his dad :)


This will be the year that I start a new kind of garden. A "Square Foot Garden" that is. After being convinced by Chelsea and Maureen that this is THE way to garden, and after yet another dismal attempt at gardening last year, I've been all over the square foot garden thing. I spent the winter reading and obsessing over the book about the square foot gardening method. Then a few weeks ago Mike built my very own square foot gardening boxes. Today I finally mixed the very specific compost/vermiculite/peat moss mixture and shoveled it into the boxes. Mike helped me with the messy job - and now we have 3 garden boxes ready for planting. I am so excited, and honestly a little worried. I mean, what if my vegetable still don't grow after moving to this supposedly "fail proof" system? I guess it will officially mean that I was not meant to garden in this life. But at least I gave it a good try.

Working outside, watching my kids play in the sunshine & hang out with their dad, has turned today into one fine day. To finish things off, my mom (who lives with us until her condo is ready) made a delicious spagetti dinner with salad & garlic bread for all of us to enjoy. Our family tradition during dinner is for each person to share two things that were their favorite parts of the day. The kids favorites included playing with friends, watching basketball with dad, and jumping on the trampoline. When it came to be my turn I said, "My favorite part of today is right now eating dinner with my family, and doing dirt with dad." As soon as I said "doing dirt with dad" I started to blush & my mom started to laugh. Mike then said, "No Kristen, that's for later tonight".

Needless to say, we had a great evening, and it promises to only get better. So please excuse me now, I've got some dirt to go and take care of. :)

7 comments:

Sandi said...

LOL! You two are so cute! Enjoy that dirt doing sister!

Kristin said...

Well T! I'm shocked! Who would have thought?!

LOL! Good luck w/ the garden. I've found that every year is a crap shoot. Don't give up, we're blessed just for the effort right? My plants are all in the windows, waiting for June when the frost is gone for good, but then we'll probably move in July and I'm thinking, why do I even bother? sigh.

Chelsea said...

Your boxes look awesome! I especially like the dirt, very dirt--y

When are we running?

Kathleen said...

I now can't say dirt without blushing. . . . . .those kids. . . and I mean T and Mike. Ha ha ha ha

Kristi said...

I've heard great things about SQ gardening. Hope it's a raging success at your house. :)

kamcicle said...

don't lie, we all know those are mike's transformers....

Shumway Family said...

I LOVE your post. How funny. I hope you enjoyed getting dirty! I LOVE the square foot gardening method. It will totally work - I'll bet you a super big Coke!

Love you!