Thursday, October 23, 2008

Will I ever get it together?

Today I told my friend Marianne that I'd pick up her daughter from school along with Kaitlyn since I would be driving them along with 2 other 5 year olds to dance. No problem right? So I go about my day doing all of the mom stuff that fills up every day, and as I send Kaitlyn off to kindergarten I think to myself "a nap would be perfect right now" especially since I was yawning every 30 seconds. What do I do? I set my alarm so I will wake up in 1 hour and have plenty of time to shake out the cobwebs before driving down to get the girls. I even put the phone beside me on the bed with the ringer on low in case someone calls (the "mom, I just threw up" calls always seem to come during a nap). Then I curl up on the bed, having been so responsible in making sure that I won't sleep the day away.

The next thing I know, I'm looking at my little alarm clock that I'm holding in my hand for some strange reason and it says it's 2:54 pm. My first thought is that my clock is obviously NOT working because I set the alarm for 1:30 pm and I hadn't heard it yet. That's when it hits me - the alarm is in my hand because I turned it off in my coma like sleep. 2:54 pm? School gets out at 2:50 pm, so I have 2 kindergartners who are either on the bus when they shouldn't be, or they are crying their eyes out wondering why Kaitlyn's mommy didn't show up. This is when I run around the house looking for the phone, mumbling words that I know I shouldn't say (hello! didn't I put the phone right beside me on the bed? Why am I wasting time running around looking for the stinkin phone?).

I finally get a hold of Marianne and the school and explain my complete LACK of responsibility. They help me pick up the pieces like good friends do, and we actually make it to dance on time. Just when I think I might possibly be getting it together - life throws me a curve ball and I'm not even standing in the batter's box. Sigh...maybe someday it'll happen, but that day obviously is not today.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Life happens; the Lord gave us friends in cases like this. . . . .however, it is interesting and fun to watch you walk, drive, etc. while still under the influence of sleep. You are still a great mommy and yes a little human.

Kristin said...

hmmm... that's happened to me like 20 times this year. In my world, you're just normal.

Julie said...

Fun to see your blog . . . I've got to get off FB so I can get back to my blog - it's feeling neglected :-).