Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No New Year's Resolutions

With it being the a new year and all, I've been thinking a lot about New Year's Resolutions. I come up with 'em every year. Sometimes I even write them down or share them with Mike thinking that'll make me more "accountable" and therefore, more willing to work on them consistently. Well, I've come to realize there is only one consistent thing with ALL of my New Year's Resolutions. That is - without a doubt - I ALWAYS forget about them. Usually around March when I'm getting ready for Caleb's birthday. Then it's Easter & the kids Spring vacation. Which leads into the last 6 weeks of school which is chuck full of field trips, recitals, teacher appreciation stuff, programs, etc. Then we run FULL FORCE into summer. Catch my drift? How in the world I'm I supposed to remember to work on specific goals for an entire year? Seriously? I feel like I'm on the top of my game when I remember my kids piano lessons and car pool all in the same week. Don't believe me? Let me share a couple of examples from this week alone. Saturday morning I'm up and cleaning my house, totally in a work my butt off mood. Cute Kaitlyn asks me if she can please call her best friend Lauren around noon. "Of course you can!" I say, as she is the only child done with all of her chores (man, that girl can work!). As I'm chatting with Marianne, Lauren's mom, I suddenly realize that her other daughter Maren was baptized this morning. I was supposed to be there. I wanted to be there. I told her 2 days ago that I would be there. But somehow I totally forgot. Now, this wouldn't be so frustrating & embarrassing if I hadn't also forgotten Maren's birthday party a few weeks ago. And then to top it all off, I got our girls gymnastics carpool all confused in my brain just today. These are all examples are all just from my dealings with Marianne! So again I ask you, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER TO WORK ON SPECIFIC GOALS FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR?!?!

So this year I'm trying something new. I'm going to make "New Month's Resolutions". I realize this doesn't sound nearly as catchy as the original, so you'll have to forgive me. I'm shooting from the hip here. I figure that these "New Month's Resolutions" might be something I can hopefully remember to work on. So here's the deal. I'm going to make 2 goals with each "New Month" and once the month is gone, I'll focus on something new. For January my goals are pretty easy to remember, and are intended to help me retain (or actually regain) my sanity after the holidays. They are #1 - exercise for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. And #2 - engage in meaningful prayer 2 times a day. I can't be doing anything else during these moments of prayer, so driving down the road and praying that God will help me to not swear at crazy drivers doesn't count. I'm in my first week and so far so good!

Now I'm just hoping I remember to make my goals, remember what my goals actually are, and remember when a new month begins. Phew! I'll definitely need to spend some time praying for a better memory. But that'll have to wait until later. I gotta go now as I just realized that I never mailed Marianne's Christmas card, so I'll drop it off when I pick Kaitlyn up from her house. Cross your fingers for me will ya?

4 comments:

Kristin said...

LOL. You and I have the same problem, we're going senile! At 38! Who would've believed it? I don't do resolutions either, or goals really even. I just try to make it through the day in one piece... good luck to you though, you're very ambitious! ;)

Sabrina said...

You are such an amazing writer, I loved your blog and am totally a follower now! The family looks great and the kids are so big. They weren't supposed to grow up. The other day I was playing with Bryce and I flashbacked to doing the same thing with Caled. Have a great week and good luck remembering.

Kathleen said...

Your goal of setting monthly goals is the best . . . . when you are your mother's age, you will set hourly goals. Age, what can I say?

I love you!

Kristi said...

I try to not to have any expectations in January. Just functioning is all I expect this time of year. ;)

Our poor Mommy brains, they really are just totally taxed.

Love it when you post. See you next week...