Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Definitely NOT Politics as Usual

It is 5:47 am after a morning run and I have 45 minutes to spare. Instead of sleeping or even showering I am blogging instead. I'm beginning to think that I may have a blogging problem. Is there a support group out there that I should know about? But, I have SERIOUSLY wanted to write about everything going on in my brain and heart since the election, but my last post consumed me for a while. Thank you, by the way, to everyone who read it and commented. Writing it made me feel incredibly vulnerable, but it was something that I knew I needed to do for my own sanity.


So, what about the rest of the election? Honestly, I found it to be quite amazing! I think I ended up crying at least 3 times while listening to various speeches. Now that I think about it, that's pretty sad. I mean who cries over someone's political speech? I guess I do. Sometimes watching politics play out is like watching a good movie for me. Sometimes it's a comedy that is funny as heck, sometimes a horror show and I'm afraid to even watch, and like this one, sometimes it's a really good drama. First off, let me say that things didn't exactly turn out the way I was hoping. I voted for the other guy. BUT, I am a realist and it was quite obvious that my guy was going to get blown out for quite a while now. And, since Presidential elections only come around every 4 years, I watched nearly every minute of both conventions (thank heavens for tivo) and soaked in McCain's concession along with Obama's acceptance speeches. Here are a few of the things that I loved about this Presidential election.


The nomination of Sarah Palin for the Republican VP. Okay, now time for a little more honesty, I didn't think she was the best choice. I know, I know, I got all fired up on this very blog due to the way she was being treated by feminists. And believe me, I was fired up! That post had to do with FEMINISM, not with being the Vice President of the United States. In my gut I just don't think it was a wise choice. In all honesty, I was rooting for Lieberman (no, not Mitt, because as I said, I'm a realist when it comes to politics, and the religious bigotry issue is still a major issue). When I heard that she was going to get the Republican VP nod I kind-of cringed inside. I think she has serious potential in the Republican party, but was thrown into the thick of things a little to soon. Needless to say, I was very curious to hear her nomination acceptance speech. As I sat on my couch and watched as she was introduced at the National Republican Convention the tears started rolling down my cheeks. Maybe I've been a little crazy since childhood, but my childhood dream was to become President, before I realized that women in this country just don't "become president". Watching the first woman being added to a Republican national ticket was pretty darn awesome, whether I felt she was the best choice or not. As I listened to her, I thought to myself, "this woman is a spit-fire!", and sometimes there's nothing like watching a strong woman go out and kick some butt - no matter what side of the political isle she is on, or whether you would vote for her or not. She and Hillary Clinton made it possible for little girls all over our country to dream about becoming president without our sometimes idiotic system knocking the wind out of their sails.


It wasn't long before I was crying again - just the next night in fact during John McCain's speech. Listening to him describe his captivity while serving our country was gut wrenching to say the least. To hear him describe how upon receiving his freedom his life was no longer his own, but belonged to his beloved country was inspiring. Then he did something I will never forget. He passionately implored each of us to "Stand up and fight" with him for the that very country. Anyone who has watched John McCain speak knows that "passion" is usually the last word you could use to describe it. However, this night I saw something that is rarely seen in politics, raw and honest emotion. There was no doubting that he would do anything for his country.

I watched Barack Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention hoping to be swept off my feet, but only ended up thinking to myself, "I wish I could believe you man". I'm a lower taxes, smaller government, stay out of my way and let me succeed type of gal. I'm also a big believer in "sharing the wealth" philosophy, but I want to determine who to share it with and how to share it. But despite our political differences, his acceptance speech the night of the election did not disappoint! It was a surreal feeling, watching the first African American being elected to our nation's highest office. The only thing I can really compare it to from my own life experience, is watching the Berlin Wall being torn down in 1989. Both were something as Americans we had always dreamed of, but didn't know whether or not we'd live to see happen. The humility and resolve in his voice and words that night are truly something I hope I can believe in. I hope that he has an amazingly successful first term as President of the United States. Why? Not because of his gender, political party, or the color of his skin, but because this is America - and I hope to always see her rise above any challenges that lie in her way. I hope that we are better off fours years from now than we are today. I hope that in four years I'll be running to the polls to vote for Barack Obama because of what he has done for our country. Only time will tell.


2 comments:

Sandi said...

I love you girl!

We share something in common for sure. TEARS.

I cried through out the entire election, while you were crying tears of joy, I was crying dear lord help us, While I was sobbing with joy and victory, you were crying and praying for our nation.

How fun is it to be as different as night and day politically, but still good friends? That is AMERICA!
and I am proud to call myself American.

I love your blog! Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

Kristen said...

Sandi,
Thank you so much! I feel the same way. I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one crying during this election.

America is amazing isn't it. And how cool is it that we can have different ideas and philosophies - and still love sharing them with one another.

You are awesome!